Thursday, February 17, 2011

Abandoned 1893 Church Darling, MN

I've driven past this church a hundred times on the way back and forth to the cabin along Hwy 10. It is easy to miss as only the very top of the steeple is visible above the tall pine trees. I always just figured it was a country church and never really thought about stopping until recently. I'd also noticed a small county road perpendicular to only the southbound side of the highway that seemed like it would get you there. So last weekend I finally slowed down enough to take a hard right off the highway and found myself right there at the main entrance to a cemetery. I'd definitely not noticed this before while flying past at 60mph but the proximity of the cemetery to the church instantly made me realize the church was probably much older than I expected. A wooden sign confirmed this with a date of 1893! None of the deep snow was plowed but we decided to trudge our way through towards the front of the church -which faced directly towards the highway. Near the entry was a completely broken out window which you could have walked right through. Then we noticed the two front doors were actually open. Honestly I usually reserve my appreciation for abandoned structures to strictly the outside, but in this case there was nobody else around in the middle of winter. So I stepped inside the main bell tower area just far enough to peer into the main hall. I expected either birds or bats but it was completely silent inside. I could barely see anything in the darkness so I flipped up the flash on my camera to reveal some more detail as I snapped a few pics. I was surprised to see an alter still in place and also noticed a doorway leading off to the left. I would have liked to seen that room but seriously, it was very dark in there -not anything like these pictures would imply. I think this last photo is kind of neat because you can see the silhouettes of where the long gone pews once butted right up to the walls. Without any pews, I definitely put this church into the "abandoned" category and decided to look it up on the internet. There is surprisingly very little information on it or even the town of "Darling." According to this link however, the church itself closed in 1969 and the town of Darling itself is no longer in existence! http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM9F26_Darling_Lutheran_Church_Darling_MN

9 comments:

  1. Did you feel any presence of a ghost? It is said that this church is haunted by a girl who was murderes here. My friends have expierence the ghost. I myself have yet to visit Darling Church.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've wanted to stop by this place many times when driving Hwy 10. Looks like it's long since gutted of everything inside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems that teenagers and ghosthunters go there at night to see or contact the ghost. There is a presentation on youtube of the ghosthunters there at night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AnonymousJuly 28, 2012

    This is awesome! I honestly can't believe I have driven right past this a million times without even knowing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i have been there a few times and the last time i wen i brought my boyfriend and we actually can feel spirits but i can get a picture of them in my mind only if they let me tho. when we went we stood in the church with no lashlights in the pitch dark and after a few minutes we heard a door slam but we were the only ones there. i was latched on my bf's arm when we heard drops coming up behind us, mind you it wasnt raining and there wa no sign of moister in that church, and the drops stoped directly behind me than i felt her touch me...lets just say she didn't want us there. but before we went in the church we got the name Melissa and i got a young girl running and bleeding into the nearby woods to get away from her attackers. Melissa was rapped and beaten in the church by i believe two males i havent had clear info on that. there is still blood on the walls. before we left my bf wantd to be in the church alone for a few minutes and then we left after a bit he told me that he had the urg to stab men in the stomach because melissa had attched herself to his pocket knife. oh and there is a tree right by the church that a man hung himself on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The woman that was murdered in the nearby woods in 1905 was named Mary Anna Kintop.It didn't actually happen in the church. With all the research I have done, I haven't come across any info about a hanging. There was a book published about this murder. I visited the church and was able to gain access yesterday. VERY cool. I didn't know the history until today so I didn't pay much attention to the energy in the air. I might go back again when I'm in the area.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i just had to stop in it my first time passing..very eerie place. the groundsman with missing fingers was a friendly man.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Annie Kintop is still present there. I have been there paranormal investigating with night vision camcorders.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I grew up singing in the children's choir there. We played in the cemetery.Since so many of my relatives are buried there, I have a peaceful feeling about the grounds. There are funerals there every once in a while. I have never felt the presence of Annie Kintop. I wish her peace.

    ReplyDelete